4.0 The Bistrot Volnay on the Rue Volney (somebody's gotta explain that to me some day) looks exactly like it did when run by Megali Marion & Delphine Alcover for 7 years, except it's dark as a dungeon - my guest, a young woman with good eyesight had to use her cell-phone light to read the carte. In any case, for reasons unknown, they gave up the resto to one Philippe Marques who has a dazzling cv - the Mandarin Oriental in London, Senderens up the street and 10 years at the Prince de Galles so I went with high hopes and an open mind; yii, yii, yah.
OK, so as to waste as little expensive ink as possible, we had:
- mussels around a "salad" of red cabbage and chorizo (yuck)
- poached not sauteed (I know, I know) foie gras with veggies in a so-what bouillon
- a bottle of Costieres de Nimes (avoiding the 500 E sucker-punches)
- pintade with white and dark meat and a langoustine bisque (I kid not) and
- crusty-crusted sweetbreads with mushrooms, again so-what.
Our bill with a bottle of Chateldon and one of wine, terrific bread, 9 E for suppliments and coffee, was 121 E. dB's=83.8
Go? Not until they turn the lights on, get professional servers who don't spill wine and passed their maths and bring back Megali and Delphine.